Tuesday, August 2, 2011

9 Roses and a Surprise


Went today to 9 Roses with Falcon and The Snowman. Falcon is a version 1.0 westbanker, a guy who refuses to try anything outside his comfort zone. And since 9 Roses has an extensive Chinese lunch menu, I knew exactly what his order was going to be: the number 9 lunch, General's Chicken.

But no. Falcon swooped in on the field mouse, bopping it on its head. "I'll have the pho," he said, almost with a French Colonial accent, as if to drive the point home further.

Falcon reported that the broth tasted sweet. As I haven't had pho at 9 Roses since sometime in 2006 (but I do remember it wasn't my favorite), I have no idea what that might mean, other than he liked it. It was all gone at the end of our meal.

The Snowman ate some shrimp with tiny minced jalepenos sprinkled on the crusts. Other than that, all I know is he kept thanking me for introducing him to the wonders of 9 Roses.

As for me, a plate of charbroiled pork, crushed rice and two fried eggs. A simple, wonderful Vietnamese plate of food.

And that menu? Was that written by the phone book people?

No comments:

Post a Comment